A unique blockchain experiment combining art, smart contracts and charity.

1 in 8 woman will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lives. 60 unique illustrations represent women of every age and background, and face the same, unpredictable odds. When diagnosed, the token will permanently change state.

Current risk of diagnosis

Browse on reservoir.market

Become a Collector

60 Total
Ξ Mint Price

You will mint a random piece. 75% of the purchase price is donated to charity. The remaining 25% go to the project's treasury. The same split applies to any secondary sale royalties.


1 in 8
probability a woman will experience breast cancer.
Accordingly, there is a 1/8 chance for each NFT to be diagnosed. This is random and unpredictable, and the creators do not control the process or know the outcome.
hand-designed, unique illustrations.
Each illustration is a lovingly created, one-of-a kind piece, and if diagnosed, will transform to represent a woman post-surgery. Because we cannot predict the outcome, two versions of each illustration have been created.
5% / 15%
secondary market royalties, going to charity.
If a token is diagnosed, secondary sale royalties increase to 15%. All secondary sale royalties go to our charity partner, Breast Cancer Now UK.
10 years
minimum runtime of the project.
While the artwork will exist on the blockchain forever, the randomness generator will gradually wind down after 10 years, making new diagnosis increasingly unlikely, while never excluding the possibility entirely.

Artist Statement

One day, when I was eleven years old, I came home from school to find my mom crying. At the time, no one explained to me what happened, and I only later learnt that the reason: my aunt got breast cancer. After going through chemotherapy, surgery and radiotherapy, she was able to defeat the cancer.

Then twenty years later, in late 2019, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer as well. As a woman from the next generation, I am at a high risk of getting this cancer myself. While that seems frightening, when I look back and contrast my mom's with my aunt's treatment, I can see a big improvement. We have come a long way.

I dedicate this project to my mom and to all those who have fought, are fighting and are continuing the fight against breast cancer.

2020 was a tough year for everyone, but I know from my mom's personal experience that this time is especially hard on people fighting cancer. In addition to their illness, patients have to deal with all kinds of Covid-induced limitations. With this project we want them to know they are not alone.

Artist Signature

Technical Details

0xe0ba5a6fc8209e225a9937ce1dfb397f18ad402f Etherscan reservoir.market
0x155cf7a98b828fab0fa0ac51e42631e324ba0d69 Etherscan
0x15afc6fb4b76727a725709d7cd61742e4c3d2897 Etherscan
0x47746e3563dc8c3ec09878907f8ce3a3f20082f0 Etherscan
0x62cab40ecc2afed09182c76a5b05d43d86f0a697 Etherscan
0x56819785480d6da5ebdff288b9b27475fe944bff Etherscan

Chainlink VRF provides the randomness to the contract. The randomness generator can be triggered by anyone, at any time. In addition, there is a fallback randomness source based on block-randomness. See Randomness.

IPFS-hosted Content

The artwork is stored in IPFS. In addition, there are placeholders in the contract that allow on-chain storage & Arweave identifiers to be associated with each piece.


When Project Mahin was deployed, there was no accepted standard for NFT royalties. As a long-term project, we still wanted to future-proof it as much as possible by implementing multiple of the royalty systems in use at the time. Specifically, the contract exposes functions to implement these interfaces:

  • EIP-2981 (pre-final version)
  • Rarible
  • Known Origin
  • InfinityNFT

We did not implement ERC-2571 or ERC-2665. The former has the undesirable effect of disabling simple transfers, and the latter seems to lack traction.